One of the most famous vegetarian starters from Indian cuisine is Paneer Tikka. To prepare it, we marinate paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in hung curd and spices for couple of hours then grill it in a tandoor (clay oven). This recipe is for cooking it over the stove top and it’s easy. Relish it with chutney.
Marination Tip: Marinate for up to 2 hours or more. If you’re running short on time then keep it for at least 30 mins.
Also try: Hariyali Paneer Tikka.
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Marinate – 2 hours, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 2.5 hours
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 250 grams (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- Hung Curd (or Plain Greek Yogurt) – 1/4 cup
- Gram Flour – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium (cut into around 1 inch cubes)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for cooking the tikkas + 1 tbsp for marination
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Tikka:
- Take mixing bowl and add hung curd, 1 tbsp oil, ginger garlic paste, gram flour, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder, chaat masala powder, black salt, kasuri methi, lemon juice and salt. Mix well
- Add paneer and onion. Gently mix, paneer and onions should be coated well in the marinade
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for up to 2 hours
- Now take the paneer and onion in any order on a skewer
- Heat a pan or tawa, spread some oil and place the skewer. Cook from all the sides till golden brown and crispy
- Your Paneer Tikka is ready. Serve hot with sliced onions, lemon wedges and Chutney.