One of the most famous vegetarian starters from Indian cuisine is Paneer Tikka. To prepare it, we marinate paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in thick yogurt and spices for couple of hours then grill it in a tandoor (clay oven). This recipe is for cooking it over the stove top and it’s easy. Relish it with green chutney.
Marination Tip: Marinate for up to 2 hours or more. If you’re running short on time then keep it for at least 30 mins.
Also try: Hariyali Paneer Tikka
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Marinate – 2 hours, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 2.5 hours
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 200 grams (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- Hung Curd (or plain greek yogurt) – 1/3 cup
- Gram Flour – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium (cut into around 1 inch cubes)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for shallow frying + 1 tbsp for marination
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Tikka:
- Take mixing bowl and add hung curd, 1 tbsp oil, ginger garlic paste, gram flour, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder, chaat masala powder, black salt, kasuri methi, lemon juice and salt. Mix well
- Add paneer and onion. Gently mix with your hand or with a spoon. Paneer and onions should be well coated in the marinade
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for up to 2 hours or more
- Now take the paneer and onion in any order on a skewer
- Heat a grill pan or tawa. Pour a few drops of oil and place the skewer
- Turn the flame to medium and shallow fry from all the sides till golden brown
- Your Paneer Tikka is ready. Serve hot with sliced onions, lemon wedges and Chutney.