One of the most popular Delhi street food, Chaap!!! There are many ways to prepare this snack and today I am sharing the recipe for Afghani Chaap. It’s smoky and stunningly flavorful, relish it with some sliced onions and green chutney.
- I have used canned soya chaap in this recipe. Link to buy
- You can also broil the marinated the chaap instead of cooking in the pan and then over the flame. Broil until you get the charred texture.
Also try: Paneer Tikka, Achaari Paneer Tikka, Haryali Paneer Tikka, Tandoori Aloo, Dahi ke Kebab or Paneer Methi Tikki.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Starters or Snacks.
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Air Fry – 15 mins, Marination – 1 hour, Cooking – 10 mins, Total – 1 hour 40 mins.
- Soya Chaap – 500 grams
- Curd (Yogurt) – 1/3 cup
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Green Chili – 2
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) – 1/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1.5 tsp
- Ground Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Melted Butter or Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Cream – 4 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Sliced Onions to serve
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Afghani Chaap:
- Drain and wash soya chaap as per instructions on the can
- Air fry on 400 F for 15 mins or deep fry the chaap pieces until golden brown. Cut fried chaap into 3-4 pieces diagonally. Keep aside
- Take a grinding jar and add ginger, garlic & green chilies. Grind to make a fine paste
- Take a mixing bowl. Add ginger-garlic-green chili paste, curd, 2 tbsp cream, oil, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, black salt, 1 tsp chaat masala powder, kasuri methi, ground pepper and salt. Mix well and prepare the marinade
- Add fried chaap pieces to the bowl, coat well and let it rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator
- Now heat a pan and add the marinated chaap. Cook until excess moisture is absorbed
- Turn off the flame and add 1 tbsp butter or ghee, mix well
- Take a skewer and skew the chaap. Now cook directly over the flame to get the charred texture
- Transfer the cooked chaap to a mixing bowl. Add some sliced onions, 2 tbsp cream, 1 tbsp butter or ghee, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder. Mix well and your Afghani Chaap is ready
- Serve with green chutney and some sliced onions.