Aloo Tikki is a famous and one of the most delicious, mouth-watering street food from North India. It is basically shallow fried patties made with potatoes then these patties are topped with luscious chutneys, the flavors simply explode on your palate. You can also add beaten curd as a topping.
Course: Starters or Snacks
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 50 mins.
Servings: 3, makes 6 tikkis.
- Boiled Potato – 4 medium
- Poha (Flattened Rice) – 1/2 cup
- Boiled Chana Dal – 1/4 cup
- Green Chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped) + julienned for garnishing
- Corn Flour – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil – 1 tsp + for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
- Green Chutney as needed, recipe here
- Tamarind Chutney as needed, recipe here
- Pomegranate Seeds for garnishing.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Aloo Tikki:
- Soak poha in water for about 5 mins (soaking time also depends upon the quality of the poha), then rinse it thoroughly and strain it through a sieve. Squeeze the excess water nicely and keep aside
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add ginger and green chillies, saute for a few seconds. Add boiled chana dal, red chilli powder and salt. Mix and cook for 3-4 mins. Now add garam masala powder, chaat masala powder & coriander leaves and mix. Your stuffing is ready, keep aside
- Add boiled potatoes to a mixing bowl, mash them nicely. Add soaked poha, corn flour and salt. Mix well, it’ll be sticky but doable. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions
- Grease your palms with a little oil and roll each portion into a ball. Now flatten it a bit and press in the centre to make a space, fill it with around 1 tsp of the stuffing. Bring together the edges and seal it by making a ball, again flatten it to form a tikki. Keep aside, similarly do the rest
- Heat enough oil in a pan to shallow fry the tikkis. Once oil is hot place the tikkis, fry on medium flame from both the sides until crisp and golden brown, do not over crowd the pan while frying. Similarly do the rest
- Crush the tikkis a bit and place on a serving plate, top it with some green chutney & tamarind chutney, sprinkle some pomegranate seeds, julienned ginger and chaat masala powder. Your Aloo Tikki is ready, you can also add some beaten curd. Enjoy!!!