Aloo Tikki is a famous and one of the most delicious, mouth-watering street food from North India. It is basically shallow fried patties made with potatoes then these patties are topped with luscious chutneys, the flavors simply explode on your palate. You can also add beaten curd as a topping.
Course: Starters or Snacks
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 50 mins.
Servings: 3, makes 6 tikkis.
- Boiled Potato – 5 medium
- Boiled Chana Dal – 1/4 cup
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped) + sliced for garnishing
- Corn Flour – 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil – 1 tbsp + for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
- Green Chutney as needed, recipe here
- Tamarind Chutney as needed, recipe here
- Pomegranate Seeds for garnishing.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Aloo Tikki:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add ginger and green chillies, saute for a few seconds. Now add boiled chana dal, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala powder and salt. Mix and cook for 4-5 mins. Turn off the flame, add coriander leaves and mix. Your stuffing is ready, keep aside
- Take boiled potatoes and add it to a bowl, mash them nicely. Add salt and corn flour, mix well. It’ll be sticky but doable
- Divide the dough in 6 portions. Grease your palms with some oil and roll each portion into a ball. Now flatten it a bit and press in the centre to make a space for the stuffing, fill it with around 2 tsp of the stuffing. Bring together the edges and seal it by making a ball, again flatten it to form a tikki. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan to shallow fry the tikkis. Once oil is hot place the tikkis and fry on medium flame from both the sides until crisp and golden brown, do not over crowd the pan while frying. Drain them on a kitchen paper towel
- Your Aloo Tikki is ready. Crush the tikkis a bit, top it with some green chutney & tamarind chutney and sprinkle some pomegranate seeds & chaat masala powder. You can also add beaten curd. Enjoy!!!