This is a famous and classic Indian dip or chutney, its sweet & sour in taste and a must for many Indian snacks. To prepare this you’ll need tamarind, jaggery powder, ginger powder, cumin powder, red chili powder & salt, and your chutney will be ready in mins. You can also use brown sugar or white sugar instead of jaggery powder.
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 20 mins.
Servings: yields one cup
- Seedless Imli (Tamarind) – 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery Powder – 3/4 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Imli Chutney:
- Add water and imli in a pan. Bring it to boil and cook on low flame for about 10 mins. Turn off the flame and let it cool down
- Mash tamarind in the water with your hands or a spoon and then strain it through a sieve. Press tamarind pulp with the help of a spoon while straining to get the most out of it
- Transfer the pulp into a pan. Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, ginger powder, jaggery powder and salt
- Cook on low flame for 2-3 mins. Turn off the flame and let it cool down
- Your Imli Chutney is ready. Transfer it to an air-tight container and store it in the refrigerator, it’ll remain good for about 15 days.