This is a classic sweet and sour Indian dip or chutney, must for majorly all Indian snacks. To prepare this you’ll need tamarind, jaggery powder, ginger powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt. And your dip or chutney will be ready in minutes. Incase you don’t get jaggery powder you can use powdered sugar.
Time: Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 20 mins
Servings: yields a small bowl
- Imli (Tamarind) – 1/2 cup (seedless preferred)
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery Powder – 3/4 cup (or sugar – as required)
- Water – 1.5 – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Imli Chutney:
- Add 1.5 cups of water and imli in a pan. Bring it to boil
- Cook on low-medium flame for 8-10 mins. Turn off the flame and let it cool down
- Mash tamarind in the water with your hands or a spoon. Strain it through a strainer
- Press the tamarind with the help of a spoon while straining to get the most pulp
- Transfer the pulp into a pan. Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, ginger powder, jaggery powder, salt and 1/2 cup water (or as required, depends on the thickness you like)
- Cook on low-medium flame for 4-5 mins. Turn off the flame. Let it cool down
- Your Imli Chutney is ready. Enjoy it with your favorite snack
- Transfer it to an air tight container and store it in the refrigerator. It’ll remain good for a month.