Paneer Butter Masala is the most popular paneer gravy recipe. You can think it as soft paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in it buttery, creamy and rich tomato gravy. This is definitely one of the best paneer dish ever created. Also popular by another name “Paneer Makhani”.
To prepare the gravy you’ll need tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, a few spices and butter. You can have it with any of your favorite bread like Phulkas, Paratha, Missi Roti, Tandoori Roti or Jeera Rice.
Incase you like your gravies sweet then add 1 tbsp of honey when you add the paneer.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 40 mins.
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 250 grams (cut into cubes)
- Onion – 1 large (roughly chopped)
- Tomato – 4 large (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (roughly chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Cashew – 5-6
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cream – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1/2 cup or as needed
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Butter Masala:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai, add onions and saute until translucent
- Add tomatoes, green chillies and cashews. Cook until tomatoes are soft
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down, then blend it to a smooth fine paste. Keep aside
- Heat butter in a pan or kadai and add ginger-garlic paste. Saute until aromatic and starts to turn light golden
- Add the paste, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook covered on medium flame for about 8 mins, stirring occasionally
- Add crushed kasuri methi, garam masala powder and 1/2 cup water (or as needed, depends on the thickness you prefer). Mix and again cook covered on medium flame for about 3 mins, stirring occasionally
- Add cream, paneer and salt. Mix well and cook covered for about 3 mins on low flame, stirring occasionally
- Turn off the flame and your Paneer Butter Masala is ready, dig in!!!