Paneer Butter Masala is the most popular paneer gravy dish, it is always on the restaurant menu which serves North Indian cuisine. Just think about this dish as soft paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in buttery, creamy and thick tomato gravy. This is definitely one of the best paneer dish ever created. It is also popular by another name, “Paneer Makhani”.
To prepare the gravy you’ll need tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger and a few spices; and it is cooked in butter as the name says itself. Believe me it’s a must try recipe. It is loved by all of my family and friends.
I don’t like my gravies to be sweet, incase you prefer then add 1 tbsp of honey when you add paneer.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 40 mins
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 200 grams (cut into cubes or triangles)
- Onion – 1 large (roughly chopped)
- Tomato – 4 large (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (roughly chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp (home-made preferred)
- Cashews – 5-6
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh Cream – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup or as required
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Butter Masala:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add onions. Saute till onions are translucent
- Add tomatoes, green chillies and cashews. Cook till tomatoes are soft
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down
- Grind to make a fine paste. Keep it aside
- Heat butter in a pan or kadai. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute till aromatic and starts to turn light brown
- Add tomato-onion paste and 1/2 cup water. Cover it and cook for 7-8 mins on medium flame
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and 1/2 cup water (gravy will thicken at this stage so add water accordingly as you desire, medium thick gravy is preferred). Cover and cook for another 3-4 mins on medium flame
- Add crushed kasuri methi, cream and garam masala. Mix and cook for a minute or two without cover
- Add paneer and salt. Mix and cook for 3-4 mins without cover on medium flame
- Turn off the flame and your Paneer Butter Masala is ready
- Garnish with butter or fresh cream and serve hot with your favorite bread or rice.