Lababdar means “a strong desire for something and indulge in it”. So once you have tasted it, you’ll have a desire to have more of it.
Paneer Lababdar is a paneer gravy dish. It is another Punjabi style recipe as popular as Paneer Butter Masala. Gravy is rich & creamy as it’s prepared with tomatoes, onions, cashews and spices. This dish can be enjoyed with any of your favorite breads like Paratha, Tandoori Roti, Whole Wheat Naan, Missi Roti, etc.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 40 mins
- Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) – 250 grams (cut 150 grams into cubes and crumble the remaining)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 4 large (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilli – 4 (slit)
- Cashew – 5
- Garlic – 4 cloves (roughly chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (roughly chopped)
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Clove – 2
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cream – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1.5 cup
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Lababdar:
- Heat a pan and add 1/2 cup water, chopped tomatoes, cashews, garlic, ginger, green cardamom & cloves. Bring it to a boil and cook on medium flame until water is completely absorbed, stirring occasionally. Turn off the flame and let it cool down
- Add it to a blending jar and blend to make a smooth paste. Strain it through a strainer by pressing it nicely to get the maximum paste out of it, keep aside
- Heat oil and butter in a pan or a kadai. Add bay leaf and saute
- Add onions and saute until golden brown
- Add tomato paste, cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook until butter separates
- Add 1 cup water and green chillies, stir and bring it to a boil. Cook on medium flame until gravy thickens, about 3 mins
- Add crushed kasuri methi, garam masala powder and salt. Mix and cook for a min
- Add paneer (cube + grated) and cream. Mix and cook for about 2-3 mins, your Paneer Lababdar is ready. Garnish with some coriander leaves and enjoy with your favorite bread.