Naan is a famous Indian bread, generally prepared with all-purpose flour and cooked in a tandoor. In this recipe we will make them with whole wheat flour and cook on a tawa then directly over the flame to get the tandoor like texture. These are as delicious and soft as the regular naan breads. Enjoy with any of yours favorite Indian gravy like Amritsari Chole, Aloo Gravy, Paneer Butter Masala or Matar Paneer, etc.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 2 hours 15 mins, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 2.5 hours.
Servings: makes 4 medium or 6 small naans.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1.5 cups
- Curd (Plain Yogurt) – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 4 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Cumin Seeds to sprinkle on top
- Coriander Leaves to sprinkle on top
- Warm Water to knead the dough
- Butter or Ghee (Clarified butter) to spread on top
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Whole Wheat Naan:
- Take a mixing bowl and add wheat flour, curd, milk, oil, baking powder, sugar & salt. Mix gently to get the crumbly texture
- Add warm water in portions to knead a soft smooth dough, cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for 2 hours
- After 2 hours knead the dough a bit and divide it into 4 or 6 equal size balls
- Take a ball and dust it, start rolling it with a rolling-pin to make an oval or round shape naan
- Sprinkle some black cumin seeds and coriander leaves, gently roll a little bit again so that they stick to the naan
- Flip and spread some water (on the plain side, it’ll help the naan to stick to the tawa)
- Meanwhile heat the tawa (do not use a non stick pan as naan will not stick)
- When tawa is hot, place the naan on the tawa from the wet or plain side (black cumin seeds side stays on the top)
- Wait until bubbles start to appear then flip the tawa and cook naan directly over the flame with a few inches of gap
- When brown spots start to appear take it off the flame and remove the naan with the help of a spatula
- Top it with some ghee or butter. Your Whole Wheat Naan is ready!!!