Missi Roti is one of the famous Indian flatbread, it is delicious and nutritious. It is prepared with gram flour, whole wheat flour and a few spices. Relish it with your favorite gravy.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 25 mins, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 40 mins.
Servings: makes 6 rotis
- Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup + for dusting
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Carrom Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
- Black Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green Chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (grated)
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Curd (Yogurt) – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water for kneading the dough
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) for serving
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Missi Roti:
- Take a mortar-pestle and add coriander seeds, carrom seeds, cumin seeds & black peppercorns. Grind to a coarse powder
- Take a mixing bowl. Add gram flour, wheat flour, prepared ground powder, coriander leaves, green chilli, ginger, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, curd, oil and salt. Mix well, it’ll be crumbly
- Add water in portions and knead the dough. Keep aside for 15 mins
- Knead the dough a little bit again and make equal size 6 balls
- Dust the ball with wheat flour and roll to make a medium thick roti
- Tandoori Style –
- Heat a tawa (do not use a non stick pan as roti will not stick)
- Spread around 2 tsp of water, it’ll help the roti to stick to the tawa. Place the roti with your hand on the tawa from the wet side
- Once bubbles start to appear flip the tawa and place it directly on the flame with 2 inches gap, this will give the roti a tandoor like texture
- When brown-black spots starts to appear take it off the flame. Remove the roti from the tawa with help of a spatula
- Phukla Style –
- Heat a tawa or a pan and place the roti, flip it when you get the brown spots
- Once you get the brown spots on other the side as well remove it from the tawa with the help of tongs and place it directly on the flame. Cook from both the sides over the flame with the help of tongs till you get brown-black spots, then take it off the flame (you can even cook it on the tawa itself if you have an electric flame)
- Grease the rotis with ghee and your Missi Roti is ready.