Bread Pakoras are a popular Indian street food. These are perfect for breakfast or tea time snack. If you have never tried these then imagine it as a sandwich stuffed with potatoes, dipped in besan (gram flour) batter and deep fried. Yes, that’s the thing I am talking about.
Course: Breakfast or Snacks
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 20, Total – 35 mins
- Potato – 2 medium (boiled)
- Bread Slice – 6 (cut into triangles or rectangles or squares, as you like)
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Besan (Gram Flour) – 1 cup
- Carom Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Oil – for deep-frying
- Chutney – to serve (recipe here)
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Bread Pakora:
- Take a bowl. Add boiled potatoes. Mash them nicely
- Add coriander leaves, green chillies, 1/4 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp chat masala powder and salt
- Mix and make a paste. Keep aside
- Take a bowl. Add gram flour, carom seeds, 1/4 tsp red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 coriander powder and salt. Mix
- Add 1/4 cup water. Mix well with the help of a whisk or a spoon. There should be no lumps
- Batter should be of medium consistency. Accordingly add 1/8 or 1/4 cup more water. Mix well. Keep aside
- Take a slice of bread and spread desired amount of potato stuffing. Place the other slice on top of it. Press it lightly
- Similarly do the rest. Keep aside all the sandwiches
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan or a kadai
- Take a sandwich and dip in the batter. It should be covered from all the sides. Do not leave it in the batter for long as it’ll break
- Now drop the dipped sandwich in the hot oil. Fry it from both the sides till crispy
- Drain it on a kitchen paper towel. Your Bread Pakoras are ready
- Serve hot with Chutney or Ketchup.