Bread Roll is such a comfort food. Snack for a party or a picnic, pack it up for lunch or simply enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee on a rainy day. Though these hold a special place in my heart as my Sunday breakfast as a child meant “Bread Rolls”.
We prepare the stuffing with potatoes, onions and a few spices. Roll this stuffing in the bread and deep fry them, and you’ll get the crispy brown Bread Rolls. Enjoy with chutney or ketchup.
I have shared images below for step by step reference.
Also try: Bread Pakora, Aloo Chaat or Veg Tikki.
Course: Breakfast or Snack
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins
Servings: makes around 10-12 bread rolls
- Potato – 3 medium size (boiled and mashed)
- Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup (finely chopped) (optional)
- Green Chilli – 1-2 (finely chopped)
- Bread Slices – 10-12 (sides cut) (your choice of bread)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Water – 1 cup (for dipping the bread)
- Oil – 2 tbsp (for the stuffing) + for deep-frying the bread rolls
- Green Chutney – to serve (recipe here)
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Bread Roll:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add onions, capsicum and green chilli. Saute till onions are golden brown
- Add mashed potatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well
- Cook for 3-4 mins. Keep sauteing in between
- Add dry mango powder and garam masala powder. Mix well. Cook for a minute
- Turn off the flame and add coriander leaves. Mix well
- Keep aside the stuffing and let it cool down
- Take water in a plate or a bowl. Dip the bread and squeeze the excess water. It should be moist enough to roll (images below for your reference)
- Place around 2 tbsp of stuffing (or as required) in the center and roll the bread. There should be no open edge. It should be covered properly with the bread from all the sides
- Make all the bread rolls in similar way and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai and drop the bread rolls
- Deep fry from all the sides till crispy and brown. Drain them on a kitchen paper towel
- Your Bread Rolls are ready. Serve hot with Chutney or Ketchup.