Paneer Jalfrezi is another popular paneer dish served across Indian restaurants. It is the Indian version of Chinese stir fry. As the name says Jalfrezi (jhal – means spicy in Bengali), it is a spicy dish. It is semi dry as we stir fry veggies along with paneer. Paneer absorbs the spice flavors and becomes scrumptious. I have added lemon juice for the tangy flavor you can even add vinegar to it.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese) – 200 grams (cut in batons)
- Onion – 1 medium to large (julienned)
- Tomatoes – 1 medium (seeded and julienned)
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup (julienned)
- Bell Pepper (Red or Yellow) – 1/2 cup (julienned)
- Ginger – 1 inch (julienned)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2-3 (cut length wise)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves – for garnishing
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Jalfrezi:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add onions. Saute and add garlic. Cook till onions are translucent
- Add capsicum, bell pepper and green chilli. Saute. Add spices – red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook for 2-3 mins
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are a little softened
- Add paneer, ginger, garam masala powder and salt. Mix and cook for 2-3 mins
- Turn off the flame. Add lemon juice. Mix
- Garnish with coriander leaves and julienned ginger. Your Paneer Jalfrezi is ready
- Serve hot with your favorite bread.